4/14/22 El Cajon, CA – Man Carjacks Police SWAT Truck At 7-Eleven – Leading Police On Pursuit Into Chula Vista – Flashed Police Lights On – Crashed Into Fire Hydrant Sending Water 50 Feet Into The Air – Stun Gun – Captured

April 14, 2022


A man was taken into custody after allegedly carjacking an unmarked police truck full of SWAT gear and firearms in El Cajon, and then leading law enforcement on a pursuit from the East County into Chula Vista late Wednesday night.

David Alejandro Felix, 29, is charged with carjacking, assault on a peace officer, car theft, possessing a stolen vehicle, and felony evading.

Local law enforcement officials said an off-duty El Cajon Police officer was about to leave a 7-Eleven store in El Cajon when he was reportedly carjacked by Felix.

Officials confirmed the officer’s vehicle had tactical gear, an assault rifle, and a pistol locked in a storage locker inside the truck.

A couple hours after the reported carjacking, authorities spotted the truck near an El Cajon-area Jack in the Box restaurant and tried to stop the vehicle, but Felix sped away onto westbound Interstate 8.

The truck reached speeds of over 100 mph and the driver flashed the truck’s police lights as sheriff’s deputies and El Cajon Police pursued it.

The vehicle raced through El Cajon and La Mesa, went south through Lemon Grove and Spring Valley, and then entered Chula Vista.

According to officials, the truck exited from southbound state Route 125 and made its way into the Otay Ranch Town Center on Birch Road.

The truck drove around the mall before the Felix lost control and crashed into a fire hydrant, sending water about 50 feet into the air.

Officials said Felix ran from the wreckage towards a freeway embankment, but officers and deputies surrounded him. When he refused to comply with orders to surrender, Felix was subdued by a stun gun and arrested.

Officials said Felix was taken to an area hospital for treatment after suffering minor injuries from the crash. He has since been booked at San Diego Central Jail.

Equipment and weapons that were in the storage locker were untouched during the pursuit, ABC 10News learned.